At "Castillo de Peñafiel" winery we elaborate the our red wine "Viejo Coso", gold medalist at Bordeaux Challenge International du Vin. Enjoy a wine tasting and a visit to the vintage winery.
The winery for vintage wines is located in Curiel de Duero (Valladolid), between Peñafiel and Pesquera de Duero, in a rebuilt twelfth-century church with surrounding walls measuring two meters in width and unmatchable building conditions.
This is the site of our storehouse of American and French oak barrels, kept at a constant temperature and humidity to provide our wine with the bouquet and sense-arousing characteristics that distinguish it from the most famous wines in the Ribera de Duero region.
VIEJO COSO - aged for four years
- Using grapes of the "tempranillo" (tinta del país) variety.
- Totally traditional production, with aging for 16 to 24 months, depending on the wine's year, in American and French oak barrels.
- Appearance: A very intense cherry red color, with a fine layer of tile-red tones originating from the hues of the oak wood.
- Aroma: Aromas of sweet, ripe fruit with spicy overtones insitlled by the wood, mainly of vanilla.
- Flavor: Meaty, structured and well-rounded, with vigorous but balanced tannings, it feels meaty and velvety to the mouth and has a broad, persistent finish.
- Recommended for drinking at a temperature of 16 to 18º C, along with baked meats and stews, game, ham, sausages and cured cheeses.
COSO JOVEN - aged for six months
The latest harvest, with aging of at least six months in oak barrels.
- Appearance: An intense cherry red color, with slight nunaces of ruby red, as well as violet an purple edges with lively colors.
- Aroma: Primary aromas of wild fruits, with a slight taste of mulberry and blackberry.
- Flavor: Broad on the palate an full of flavor, with a perfect union of tannins and very well-balanced acidity.
- Recommended for accompanying white meats, small game, poultry, sausages and semi-cured cheeses. It is the perfect accompaniment for tapas and appetizers. Drink at a temperature of 15 to 16º C.